Sunday, March 6, 2011

TweetViewer scam back alive

 The TweetViewer scam that has been spreading through Twitter is back alive. The old social app "Who viewed y0ur profile" does not seem to be active and it now spreading it scam under the app name TweetViews at the moment. This app seems to at the moment be spreading the following message:

I just viewed my TOP20 Profile STALKERS. I can't believe my EX is still checking me every day - (Bad App Link)

 Its url is spreading through a goo.gl short link and it seems to be spreading rapidly. In the first few moments of me having the search window open is said I had 375+ new scam tweets so I hit refresh. Now that I just checked it again it says I have 455+ new tweets to view so as you can see its spreading rapidly.

 Just in case you are wondering why a scam/spam/malware writer would do this, like most scams it's all about the cash. They could start spreading links to malware and infect users machines. They could take the users to a website which they would take a survey and collect some cash. Or they could tell the users they need to sign up for a service in order to see who viewed their profile and get users to sign up for something they don't need.

 Another thing is to keep in mind is that just deleting the tweets the spam app makes is not enough. You must also take away the access it has to your account in your settings. If you don't take away access it can start spreading again any time it wants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment